Saturday, July 26, 2014

Breaking the Rules



I blogged about this before but I suppose it merits mentioning again, especially considering the photo above taken with the Pentax ZX-L  on CVS 400 color film. Shooting into the sun was something I was always told you’re not supposed to do. I remember all the Kodak film boxes that came with instructions on how to use your Kodak film and even the old camera manuals always that said to make sure the sun was behind you, “over your shoulder” when you took a picture! 

Of course, that’s just one of many “rules” we are free to break in the name of creativity. The point is, while rules are designed to generally give pleasing results in most situations, sometimes breaking the rules allows for dramatic effects that can also be pleasing.

In the photo above I was able to balance the back lighting enough to allow the beautiful color of the flowers to come through in contrast to the darker shadows and the bright streaks of green grass illuminated by the sun for what I consider a strikingly beautiful image.

…and of course, since I was shooting film I had no way of knowing what I would end up with for weeks until I finished the roll and had it processed and scanned.

I would like to say that I knew exactly what I was doing and how it would come out but the fact that I took several shots of this scene would indicate otherwise. I did however have a general idea of what effect I was going for the rest of was a combination of skill luck and faith – just one of the many things that keeps shooting with film exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment