Saturday, October 18, 2014

They’re Everywhere!

I can’t remember when I first became interested in fire hydrants as photo subjects ( it was sometime back in the 1970’s) but one of the really great things about them is that they are literally everywhere so I am never going to run out of them to shoot. Another neat thing about them is that they are almost invisible. Even though they’re everywhere people just don’t notice them at all.

In fact if you are honest about it, most of you will have to look a second time at the photograph above to “see” the fire hydrant because you missed it the first time and just “saw” the Old Louisiana State Capitol building.

Diane Arbus once said, “I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn’t photograph them.”  I guess I feel that way about fire hydrants.

This one was shot with the Pentax K-1 in downtown Baton Rouge on a gorgeous fall afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment