Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Kodak Brownie Target Six-20

Thanks to my wonderful wife I now have a beautiful vintage box camera like the one my Mama shot all our family photos with back in the 1950’s when I was growing up. I have long wanted one and occasionally looked for one on line but my wife finally bought me one for an anniversary present.

The Kodak Brownie Target Six-20 shown above is about as simple a box camera as you could find but the utter simplicity combined with the super cool art deco face plate add up to one of the all-time classics. It of course shoots 620 film like so many of the old box cameras and the reliable rotary shutter has a single speed of about 1/30th of a second so keeping both camera and subject still during exposure is essential to good results.

There is a little tab next to the shutter that can be pulled out for “Bulb” setting which simply means that when this is done the shutter stays open as long as the shutter lever is depressed – not a great benefit for a camera without a tripod mount. Hand holding a camera for long exposures is generally not the way to get clear photographs.

The lens is a simple meniscus type with two apertures. The normal one is f11 but there is another pull out tab on top which slides a smaller f16 aperture in place for extra depth of field or for use with bright sunlit scenes.

The box is leatherette covered cardboard with a stamped sheet metal film frame and advance. There is the usual little red film counter window on the rear.

That’s it! In a sense it was the original Holga except with better optics and clearly much better build quality. I doubt we’ll be seeing too many Holgas still working 70 years from now. 


I shot a roll of Kodak Portra 400 with it already and should have the 8, 6x9 images back from The Darkroom soon. I will pick one or two of the best ones and post them here with a brief review of my experience with this lovely old camera.

2 comments:

  1. I love to look at beautiful old cameras but I don't think I'd ever have the courage to use one. Besides I sometimes think that I'm more interested in the editing process than in shooting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. It really doesn't require much courage to shoot the old vintage cameras but it does take a little effort. Film for most cameras is readily available online. I generally shop The Film Photography Project Store and Freestyle Photo. Developing and scanning is available from many sources but I use The Darkroom in California because the do a great job on nearly everything. And I am definitely a shooter rather than a processor. I spend enough time at the computer already. One reason I love film photography is that it takes me away from the computer. Go for it!

      Delete