Saturday, April 5, 2014

No Cameras? Surely you jest!



As the father of the groom I was expected to dress up, show up and shut up. Knowing my passion for all things photographic I was also told to stay out of the (professional) photographer’s way and not to take pictures, “Don’t even bring a camera!”

Well, clearly that was not going to happen! I did dress up and show up, but I stashed my diminutive Nikon P-300 in my coat pocket and when no one was looking “shot the shooter” as well as a few other choice compositions.


The ability of this little gem of a camera to take fantastic pictures, especially in low light situations never ceases to amaze me. Could I have gotten better photos with one of my other cameras? Certainly.  In this particular instance however, that would have been inappropriate. Besides, sometimes a small point & shoot you can slip in your pocket is simply the best tool for the job.

 In any case, the “stay out of the way” point is valid and I can say with all honesty I don’t think the photographer even knew I was there. Only a few friends knew I had a camera with me and only because they happened to be near when I whipped it out for a quick pic.

I took a total of 47 pictures that day. The photographer however was relentless. She was everywhere, taking hundreds of photos with two Nikon DSLR’s sporting two huge (meaning fast) zoom lenses. One DSLR carried a serious flash but she was clearly favoring available light whenever possible. Her “second” was almost as unobtrusive as I was popping up here, there and everywhere, with a smaller Nikon DSLR taking candid shots and generally catching the peripheral action. I would be surprised if at the end of the day there weren’t at least a thousand photos to pick from for the wedding album. Clearly her work has only just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment