Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Night Shots & Rangefinder Memories



Here’s one of the first pictures I took with the new Nikon P-300, set on full automatic at my son, Noah’s football game. Unbelievable!

Back in the beginning of my 35mm photographic journey, when digital photography was just an un-thought of idea, I had an Olympus 35RC Rangefinder camera that took some of the best pictures in all of my old photo albums. It had a 43mm, f1.7 fixed lens and could shoot full manual mode or automatic with a +/-3 EV adjustment. Of course you had to focus and wind the film manually but otherwise it functioned on automatic much like today’s point & shoot cameras. It too had a knack for getting me some incredible night shots with regularity.

Here’s another one…


 
After I bought my first 35mm SLR (the Olympus OM-1) I continued to use that little rangefinder as a compact & convenient alternative to my SLR or when I wanted to bring along a camera “just in case.” It finally died. Cash being a precious commodity in those days and always in short supply, I elected not to repair it but to just rely on the SLR.

Fast forward a few decades. Now I have this great little Nikon P-300 acting a lot like my old rangefinder except it’s digital too! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment