Monday, July 2, 2012

Taking 3-D Pictures – Part 2 (Fujufilm Fine Pix 3D W3)


Years ago Rod Stewart assured us that “Every Picture Tells a Story Don’t It.” Above we have a stereo pair taken with the new Fujufilm Fine Pix 3D W3 “Real 3-D” camera. This photo is more of a haiku than a story!  If you can “freeview” the stereo pairs in 3-D so much the better, but even if you are part of the 50% who can’t do this it’s still a great photo even in regular old 2-D. In fact, I posted the 2-D version a week or so ago.

The photo was taken on full Auto mode at f8, 1/350, and ISO 100. For my part it has everything. First the fire hydrants - why 2 of them right next to each other, I don’t quite understand that. That’s what caught my eye in the first place, and why are they needed in front of a cemetery? Then there is the enigmatic “One Way” sign which appears to be pointing to the Fallen Christ! The symbolism is profound.

Anyway, when I started down this 3-D road a couple weeks ago I thought I would get another Viewmaster viewer and a few reels to look at and that would be the end of it. Then I got caught up in the whole 3-D thing and started doing some research. I quickly figured out I could make a slide for the tripod and use my Nikon P-300 for some stereo pairs. All good so far – right?

Then Father’s Day came along and guess what I got? The new Fujufilm Fine Pix 3D W3 “Real 3-D” digital camera is amazing! The first thing that happens when you turn it on is this incredible 3.5” monitor comes to life and anything and everything you point the camera at is displayed in in brilliant Fujicolor 3-D. It makes me want to go back and reshoot every picture I have ever taken. No “freeviewing” necessary, no special glasses or viewers, just look at the monitor; and as you would expect from Fujifilm, everything is in brilliant Fujicolor. 

As I said in my earlier post “Viewing 3-D Photographic Images,” Fujifilm also offers a 3-D viewer with a 7” monitor using the same “Real 3-D” technology as the smaller monitor on the camera. I can only imagine what this would look like on a “Big Screen” 3-D television monitor.

I will likely do a more thorough review of the Fujufilm Fine Pix 3D W3 digital camera after I’ve had a chance to use it more (I’ve only used the full Auto mode), but so far I have to say I am very impressed with this little camera, even when used in 2-D.


No comments:

Post a Comment