Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father’s Day !



I decided to take Saturday (yesterday) and celebrate Father’s Day by driving down to the Chalmette Battlefield for a photo shoot with my Holga pinhole camera. I’ve shot a couple rolls of film through it, most recently on Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day in April, feel strongly that there is much more to be experienced with this little plastic fantastic gem.

My goal was to arrive about 4:00 p.m. (just as the light was getting right) and shoot the monument and one or more of the cannons they have there. As you can probably tell the photo above of the monument was not taken with a pinhole. It was taken with my Pentax K-01 mirrorless digital camera.

I arrived at the battlefield about 3:45 and quickly realized that the Park Service had change their hours and was closing the park at 4:00 p.m. instead of 5:00 p.m. like before. I hadn’t even loaded film in the camera yet, saving that decision (as to what film to use) until I got there and evaluated the amount and kind of light available. Needless to say, less than 15 minutes was not sufficient to set up and shoot a pinhole session so I abandoned the quest and just shot a couple digital captures.

Here’s one of the cannons (below) which hopefully I will return to shoot with the pinhole another time.



To have enough time to set up and take 12 exposures I will have to arrive at about 2:30 p.m. so it will likely have to wait until late August or September for the light to be “right” at 3:00 p.m. when I would like to be shooting. Stay tuned!

In the meantime – Happy Father’s Day to all you fathers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment