Saturday, June 14, 2014

Tri-X Love



In my last post I talked about how much I like black and white film photography and I have often extolled the virtues of Kodak Tri-X for that purpose so here’s a recently shot example of just what I’m talking about. I am really not sure exactly what this little shack is but I pass it every day on the way to work and back. The rustic simplicity is eye catching and just begs to be immortalized on black and white film.

The thing about Tri-X is that you can always count on black blacks, white whites and a full complement of accurately rendered grays. The effect provides a kind of “texture” to what might otherwise be just a colorless image.

I confess I have become enthralled with color images in the last few years. There was a time many years ago when I shot mostly black and white (usually on Tri-X) but modern color film like Kodak Portra produce such beautiful images and are so forgiving when it comes to exposure values, its hard not to become a fan. Still, I feel more drawn lately to black and white and you can’t beat Tri-X for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment