Friday, August 19, 2011

Why Holga?


Another thing I couldn’t help but run across in my web searching for camera info and equipment is the Holga. For those who don’t know Holga seems to be the latest rage among shutterbugs. Holga is perhaps the archetype for a whole class of cheap plastic cameras with cheap plastic lenses. Sometimes referred to as “toy cameras,” they are known and occasionally prized for the light leaks and lens defects which produce aberrations in the pictures taken with them. Of course I saw about as many articles on the web describing how to use black tape to stop the light leaks as I saw articles praising the “artistic” results of the light leaks so I guess the jury is still out on that topic.

Let me sum it up for you. People are apparently spending a fair amount of money on cheap plastic cameras (not to mention the associated film processing costs) to take crappy pictures on purpose!

I’m not sure I get it. Maybe I will just have to get one of these “toy cameras” and take some pictures to see what all the hoopla is about.



*** Update: October 09, 2013 ***

I've had to do it often enough that I don't really have a problem admitting when I am wrong and I was certainly wrong about the Holga. I did in fact buy one and it has become one of my favorite cameras. I taped it up to eliminate any light leaks so I have to stick with my comment about "taking crappy pictures on purpose," but I do appreciate the other attributes of the plastic lenses. Many of these dreamy soft around the edges images are quite beautiful.

The Holga's popularity has driven the prices up so you may want to consider that can have just as much fun and enjoy much the same kind of images by spending much less money on a vintage box camera from the last century however. These old cameras can frequently be bought online or at second hand stores in great shape for  $5 to $10. Some of them even shoot 120 film which is widely available but even 620 and 127 film can be found if you look around a bit. So go for it! Shoot some cheap plastic cameras and have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment