Wednesday, April 18, 2012

ISO 400 B&W Revisited with HP-5


The above picture was taken with the Promaster 35mm body and the Pentax 135mm lens using Ilford HP-5, ISO 400 black & white film with the lens wide open (f2.8) and a shutter speed of 1/250.

In an earlier blog post I complained that the Kodak 400TX film I used was super grainy and displayed way too much contrast. It was nothing like the “old” Tri-X 400 I used in the last century when I was shooting nothing but film for obvious reasons so I decided to try my second favorite film, Ilford HP-5. This one acquitted itself much better. It’s still a bit grainy but with much better gray tones. This looks more like the old black & white film I used to use back in the 1970’s and 80’s when I shot as much black and white as anything else.

I even had my own darkroom for a while. I eventually decided that I liked taking pictures a lot more than I enjoyed being locked up in a dark chemical laden environment for hours at a time. Besides, for a few bucks I could pay someone else to process my film and prints while I went out in the fresh air and enjoyed taking more pictures.

Anyway, back to the black & white film discussion. I still have some Kodak TX-400 to experiment with some more. I also have some slower ISO 125 and 100 films to play with and I’ll be sure to report my results here.




No comments:

Post a Comment