Monday, October 31, 2011

The Perfect Digital Camera – Part 2


Sorry about the interruption but I was so excited when I saw the great pictures taken with the Brownie 127 last week I just had to share it with you guys. That’s really what this blog is all about after all.

Some of you are probably wondering why a blog trumpeting the advantages and joys of shooting film would be dealing with the subject of digital cameras at all. While I do love film photography and intend to keep on shooting film as long as there is film to shoot I would be foolish to ignore or deny the reality of digital photography. I have already admitted that I like the idea of digital photography, it’s just that digital photography, is so “soulless,” and I have yet to find a digital camera I like as well as my film cameras. Hopefully that last one is about to change.







After much research, meditation and rumination I finally ordered a Nikon P-300 like the one shown above.  The price was right and this little camera seems to have everything I want in a digital camera, except a viewer of course. It does profess to have a feature to brighten the viewing screen in bright daylight and if I can figure out and remember how to work it without having to consult the manual each time that may help.

It is clearly small & compact, easy to carry with me everywhere I go. It has a 12 megapixel sensor. The optical zoom equivalent is approximately 24mm to 100mm with a 2X digital zoom. The lens is a fast f1.8 and there is a pop up flash.

I never could locate one of these in the stores but I did find and tinker with a Nikon S9100 which seems very similar in many respects and I found that camera to be very intuitive and easy to operate. Hopefully this one’s buttons, dials & menus will be similar.

With a little luck I will be taking pictures with it soon and I can post some and let you know how my decision turned out. I’ve had one reassuring experience already. The day after I ordered the camera I stumbled across the latest copy of Consumer Reports and thumbing through it found that they had rated this camera a top choice! Hopefully we’re both right.



No comments:

Post a Comment