Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kodachrome – Not!


Here’s another family outing photo from one of those lost rolls of film exposed a decade ago and developed just last week. Naturally I don’t remember the exposure settings or even which camera it was taken with (probably my Olympus OM-1) but I do know it was Fujicolor 200 film.

I always preferred Kodak film because I liked the color balance better but I have to admit that Fujicolor has incredible color saturation, especially after waiting ten years for processing. It’s not Kodachrome but if you like bright colors with total saturation you can’t beat Fujicolor.

Yeah, I know now days you can do all kind of spectacular things with post processing software but you always could and still can do the same thing with film just by selecting the right film. Now that digital technology has caught up with film and can produce photos just as good as film the biggest difference I find is with film you do more of the thinking and decision making up front. With digital you just take the photo now and worry about all that later. 

Of course, with film if you don’t like what you get you can always scan the negatives into digital format and do the same thing anyway, or is that cheating?



No comments:

Post a Comment