Monday, June 11, 2012

DSLR Revisited – Part 1


Here’s a close up of the blooming Bottlebrush in the back yard shot with the Pentax K-10 at f4.5, 1/125 and ISO 200, through a 70-300 zoom lens and shown here with no post processing at all.

It’s been a while since I “played” with a DSLR. For about a year now, I have been shooting film and occasionally using the Nikon P-300 digital compact I bought last Fall (see my 10/31/12 post, “The Perfect Digital Camera – Part-2) so I decided it was time to revisit the subject and re-explore why I don’t like digital cameras again.

Some of you may be wondering why I keep coming back to this subject. Why not just shoot film and forget about digital? Others may be wondering why I shoot film at all. Why not just give up and give in to the inevitable march of technology? Well, it’s complicated.

First of all I am no technophobe. I started using and programming computers in 1969. I bought my first personal computer in 1985. I have a smart phone and an e-reader. I have always been fascinated by the latest gadgets, and never shied away from change. Change however, to be good should improve and simplify things, not make them more complicated or harder to use. I embrace technology whenever it makes my life better. With that said, in the next few posts I will take a look at the difference between my 35mm SLR and my DSLR and revisit the whole issue after nearly a year of film & DSLR abstinence. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment