Monday, June 18, 2012

Midyear Non-Resolution Resolution Recap


I went out to take a few more photos with the K-10 but the battery died so I whipped out the P-300 to get a shot of the Veterans Memorial centerpiece above. I had the camera set on full auto so I guess I can’t complain but I have no idea why it selected f2.8, 1/1600 and ISO 160 for this shot. I’m pretty certain the thing was not going to move but the result is not bad. 

Every once and a while we should all take a moment to reassess where we are with regard to our goals. Destinations aren’t everything. The journey is usually what is really important and a plan is helpful even if we choose to not always follow. Back in January I refused to make any New Year’s Resolutions but did set some goals for the year and now that we have reached the mid-year point it seems a good time to reassess and see how I’ve done so far. 

As you may recall the first thing I said I wanted to do was to complete the pin hole camera kit I had started and take some pictures with it. Well I did that and took part in the Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day posting one of my photos to their web site and exploring the world of pinhole photography rather extensively in the process.

The second goal was to get involved in double or multiple exposure photography. I had some ideas about how to use that technique for exploring a couple really creative photographic ideas. I still have those ideas and I guess that’s one thing I have yet to accomplish so stay tuned if that’s of particular interest to you. I hope to get to this shortly.

Third, I noted that I had gotten maybe a little too comfortable shooting ISO 400 film both in color and B&W and wanted to get back to shooting some film in the ISO 100-200 range because that is where the best quality images are produced. Well I’ve shot some Ektar 100 and Portra 160 and the image quality was very impressive. In spite of the great improvements in the higher speed films you just can’t beat the slower films if you have the light.

I have yet to explore the world of slow speed B&W film although I did buy a couple rolls and will certainly explore their benefits and share my experiences here with you.

Fourth, I really wanted to do a more in depth comparison between analog and digital photography. I have explored this from a number of different angles including my most recent posts revisiting the whole DSLR question. I have also continued to use and explore the Nikon P-300 I bought last year and extol the virtues of this digital compact “point & shoot” with full manual capability and a host of other features.

Of course I have explored some other photographic paths too and will continue to do so as I get the urge. I have been studying up on and am currently planning a series of posts about 3-D photography. To stay on track however, I must also rededicate myself to getting around to doing some multiple exposures and low speed B&W.

No comments:

Post a Comment