Tuesday, June 12, 2012

DSLR Revisited – Part 2, The 35mm SLR (for comparison)


The above is similar to a photo I posted last year except this one was taken with the Pentax K-10, 18mm – 55mm, kit lens at f4, 1/90 and ISO at 100 and the EV at +1. I like looking up into trees and this particular tree is always pleasing for some reason.

Now back to the DSLR discussion I started in my last post. F or comparison purposes let’s first consider the operation of the SLR – in this case  a 35mm film, all manual camera, my preferred photographic tool for nearly 40 years. What I am currently using is a smaller lighter version of the old Pentax K-1000.

First I must choose a film. In this up front choice, made before I take the first picture, I decide whether I want to shoot black & white or color, inside or outside, and the ISO or film speed based on what I expect to be shooting. Once that is done and the film loaded into my camera I have only three things to worry about; aperture, shutter speed, and focus. Indeed, there are no other buttons, dials or “thingies” to mess with even if I were so inclined. 

Now even with an all manual camera I (and I believe most photographers do the same) shoot either aperture priority or shutter priority. That is, I either preselect an aperture, or a shutter speed and “dial in” the other while composing the picture. In my case I almost always shoot shutter priority. 

What this really means is that when I go to take a picture I pick a shutter speed based on what I am shooting, “dial in” the correct aperture based on the cameras light meter display in the viewer while focusing and composing the picture. If necessary I will over expose or underexpose depending on whether the subject of the photo is lighter or darker that the surrounding background. This is easily accomplished by simply turning the aperture ring while watching the meter display in the viewer. Then I push the shutter button – picture taken!

Now admittedly, I have been doing this same thing in the same manner since the late 1970's so it is natural and almost automatic for me but millions of photography students have learned this same process on similar cameras in just a few weeks with little problem and produced excellent photos. Next we will take a look at the operation of the modern DSLR.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment