Monday, December 10, 2012

Shoot More Film!



Gandalf the Grey (Cat) says you need to shoot more film! Here’s another shot taken with Ilford HP-5 film using my Promaster 35mm (all manual) body and the Pentax 135mm lens.

Getting back to the comments I made in my December 6th post, “Who Says Film Is Dead,” I really like shooting film. Oh, I use digital cameras and even like them for certain things but film is just more satisfying – for me. I understand if you feel differently. That said, I am a firm believer in putting your money where your heart is so I will pay for some things and even buy some things I may not really need to just to support the industry.

It’s kind of like supporting public television. God knows I don’t need another TV station. We have cable (actually some kind of fancy super-duper fiber optic cable) with a couple hundred channels already, but I support public TV because they do programming no one else does and if I don’t it will go away. Likewise, if I don’t support the few film manufacturers left they will go away too.

Do I need to shoot film? Do you need to buy & shoot film – of course not! Unless we have been living under a rock for the past ten years all of us have a digital camera around the house somewhere, and most of them take pretty decent photos. Some of them take excellent photos. So no, film isn’t necessary anymore but it’s fun and it still has a place in my world, hopefully in yours’ too.

So go find your old film camera if you still have it. If not, buy a disposable camera. You can still find both at your local chain drug store or Walmart. Go out and take some pictures and get them developed (Yes, there are still some local drug stores and other places that develop film). I promise you will enjoy it and you will be supporting one more thing that we don’t really need anymore but like public TV, art, music and fireplaces, enhance our lives and so should be allowed to remain a part of them.



2 comments:

  1. I think I might just go buy a disposable now since I actually don't own a camera besides the one on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krista. There are lots of folks viewing this blog but only a few leave comments so I get excited when the do. Yeah, disposables are great IMHO. Toy cameras are all the rage now but the disposables generally take better photos albeit without the artistic light leaks etc. Some even come with built in flashes. I used to use them a lot for work rather than risking damage to my camera while crawling around the bowels of a ship.

    ReplyDelete