Wednesday, February 20, 2013

“Bare Trees”



When I was in college Fleetwood Mac came out with an album titled “Bare Trees” (back in the age of vinyl) and I remember being mesmerized as much by the cover photo as the music. When I took the photo above (Pentax K-01 with 40mm f2.8 lens set at f8, 1/200, ISO 100 using the in camera B&W Custom Image setting) I was reminded of that album cover.

This shot is the view from my bathroom window each morning taken standing just outside my door near that window. Some might look at this shot as some kind of attempt at artistic expression but those who know me better probably realize that I was just trying to find something interesting to photograph without having to actually expose myself to the crappy winter weather too long or stray too far from my Hobbit hole.

The truth is that I really think looking up at and into trees is fascinating. It’s right up there with cloud watching. Trees however also make interesting subjects for photographing whereas clouds generally do not. I say that mainly because clouds are fleeting and temperamental subjects requiring filters and such. That particular thought I suppose now present a challenge for me to go out and try to photograph some clouds.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment