Monday, February 25, 2013

World Pentax Day – Day 1



Day one of World Pentax Day (Saturday, Feb. 23) was almost a wash out – literally! As you can see from these photos the weather was less than cooperative, and a death in the family had us driving most of the day to attend what turned out to be a truly inspirational funeral service.  The day long rain and thunderstorms did take a break at times allowing us to stop on the way home for a few shots like the one above at the Biloxi Lighthouse.



As you can see above we weren’t the only ones taking advantage of the break in the rain to snap a few photos.

We also made a quick stop (during another brief break in the weather) to visit the family cemetery, pay our respects and take a few more pictures.




Carefully avoiding the puddles and trying each step to make sure we didn’t sink into the mud while keeping the cameras protected from the rain and drizzle is no fun. Having truly weather sealed cameras AND lenses would help some but I think I have may have turned into a weather wimp in my old age – a fair weather photographer. If I had not had to be out and about yesterday for the funeral anyway I likely would have just stayed inside. Of course the hay fever or sinus affliction I was suffering from didn’t help motivate me.  In any case this is really a World Pentax Weekend so I called it a day and headed for the closest eatery – then home, hoping Sunday would be better.

Technical notes:   All the photos shown here were taken with the Pentax K-01 shooting with the 40mm f2.8 lens. The last one with a little Lomo filter effect added in post processing to bring out the color and make it more interesting. Once I realized we would likely be rained out I didn’t see any reason to bring out the ZX-30 or any of the other film cameras I had originally intended to use for this occasion. I really hate shooting partial rolls of film and then having to wait even longer to see the results until I can finish it off and I have already admitted I am too cheap to process anything less than a full or nearly full roll of exposed film.

No comments:

Post a Comment