Friday, May 17, 2013

More Pinhole Photography



I am very glad there is a Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day (WPPD is the last Sunday in April every year) because otherwise I might never have discovered this fascinating alternative world of photography. Many people buy or make pinhole caps to use with their digital cameras but I built my own 35mm film pinhole camera – of course. Actually, my son gave me a kit for my birthday but I put it together all by myself!

The photo above is another of the ones taken on WPPD at the Baton Rouge Botanical Gardens using my home-made pinhole camera. It was shot on Kodak Ektar (which I highly recommend) because I wanted more colorful photos this year. As you can see the combination of location, subject, composition and film resulted in exactly that. It was a rather gloomy day or the colors would have been even brighter.

5 comments:

  1. That is a great photo! Im having not so good luck here in puerto rico lol. I took my test roll to walgreens here and since it is all automated half my prints were cut in half. Finding a company to ship here is difficult as well to sent it off. Someone said to try the University in San Juan that i may be able to hire a student to develop and scan my negatives. I did have a blast though making my camera and shooting. The unknown and suspense on waiting to see them is quite crazy lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, Good hearing from you. I have had similar experiences with Walgreens so I mostly use The Darkroom. $10 per roll + shipping, excellent service, and they do International.

      http://thedarkroom.com/

      You might also check out the folks at the Film Photography Project. They have friends & followers all over the world and may be able to hook you up with someone locally who does processing & scanning.

      http://filmphotographyproject.com/

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you John! You always seem to be able to help! Ill check out those sites. Im stil going to try the university as well. I even tried looking for a home photo printer that had the negative film strim scanner attached but apparently they dont make those anymore. But my biggest question is does The Darkroom do custom framing? As in most places now use a machine that auto fits the frames when printing. But because my frames are not lined up like a reguar camera, the prints get cut in half. Do you know if they do the prints manually?

      Delete
    3. Chris, I'm not really sure how the do their scanning but I have big empty spaces on my negative strips so they have to be actually "looking" at them and just scanning the images. They also scan mine with the sprocket holes (I never asked or paid extra for that) which is pretty cool in itself, and I just crop (or not) as I please in Picasa. Check out the FAQ on their web site or drop them an email. They're pretty friendly folks who love what they do and the people they do it for.

      Delete
    4. Thanks so much John. As always a blessing. Ill give them a holler!

      Delete