Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The One(s) That Got Away!



Here’s a nice shot of a bronze statue/scene taken with the Pentax ZX-7 with Kodak BW400CN. I need to “play” with this film a bit more but I think I like it. I especially like that it is a C-41 film that can be processed using the same chemistry as color negative films. That means I can just drop it off at the local CVS or Walgreens for quick and cheap processing. 

I recently read an article on http://www.thephoblographer.com titled “How Film Photography Sometimes Breaks My Heart,” about an experience with a roll of film that turned out blank because of a failed shutter. The author Chris Gampat, went on to explain that this is just a normal part of the film experience and invited readers to submit their own similar stories of disappointment. Until I read that article I had totally forgotten about my worst ever film experience so in the interest of full disclosure (since I am always talking how great film is) I will share it with you here.

Back in the 1980’s when I was a 30’something parent busy about the business of business and raising a family I didn’t have much time to spare for hobbies so I had to content myself with the occasional photo session at a family event like birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, Easter etc. Frequently I only had time to take a couple of strategic shots at each event so that a roll of film would sometimes last months and span several such events.

Such was the case in one year in particular. I forget exactly which year it was but recall it was the late 1980’s, like maybe 1988 or 1989. It started with my daughter’s birthday in November, then Thanksgiving Day at Mother-in-law’s house. Next up was Christmas, my wife’s birthday and New Year’s Day. Then there was my son’s birthday in January and Valentine’s Day. By the time I got to Easter that year I was on exposure number 35 or 36. I didn’t really get alarmed until got to exposure 39. At that point I knew something was wrong.

As it turned out I only thought I Had put film in the camera because when I opened it the camera was empty! Film is always full of surprises. That’s just one more of the many great things about film. In this case I learned my lesson and have never seen cause to repeat that mistake again.



No comments:

Post a Comment