Sunday, June 2, 2013

Photo Challenges!



Shooting “available light” in bright sunlight is difficult and sometimes impossible but once and a while you just get lucky and everything comes together. The photo above is from a recent family reunion held outside near the beach on a brilliant Spring day. I decided not to use a flash because I don’t like it first of all, and I also wanted to be unobtrusive and get candid shots of everyone as they went about the business of “reuniting!” Here a cousin and uncle “caught me” and decided to pose for one of the best photos of the day.

Using the K-01 set at f4.5, 1/125 and ISO@200 I intentionally overexposed +1 to compensate for the bright background and tweaked the color saturation in Picasa afterwards. Most of the shots that day were at least a little washed out due to the backlighting overexposure compensation applied and therefore required a little post processing to bring the color back where it belonged.


Here’s another of my favorites.…and yes, I know technically all the photos would have come out better and looked more “professional” if I had used fill flash but as I said – I just don’t like going around popping off a flash in people’s faces and besides – professional is not the look I’m going for here! 


No comments:

Post a Comment