Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Holga – First Impressions


Well I finally got a Holga (Happy Birthday to me!). I confess it is an intriguing little camera and I got a kick out of reading the manual that came with it. Interestingly enough the manual dedicated equal space to praising the “virtues” of the artistic license involved in the light leak phenomenon  and explaining all the ways one could eliminate the light leaks (if one so desired).
Apparently one major light leak source is the little red colored window on the back of the camera which allows you to see the frame numbers on the film. The manual recommends taping over it with black gaffer’s tape to solve the problem and presumably just removing the tape when winding the film.
The manual also recommends painting the inside of the camera with flat black paint to reduce the reflections and glare of leaking light bouncing around inside the camera due to its shiny black interior. It then goes on to suggest that the back seams and the side latches all be taped up to prevent leaks.
I guess I am just too dense to understand whether light leaks are a good thing or something to be avoided but after talking with my wife (a frequent source of wisdom) I have decided to leave the camera as it is at least for the first roll of film and just see what happens.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Here’s a picture of my new Holga with not a single piece of tape on it – yet!


....and yes, its in the microwave (artistic license) but I have no plans to "Nuke it," not yet anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment