Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Holga Perfect!


I have been thinking for a while about the best possible application for the Holga. My theory was that portraiture would allow the subject of the picture to be accurately portrayed by the relative sharpness in the center of the lens while the background would be “blurred” out and made tertiary (as it should be by a good portrait composition) by the innate optical aberrations of the plastic lens.

If you look carefully at the picture below you will see that is exactly what happened here. 






This is one of my favorite Holga pictures so far, Noah holding his cat Gandalf (if you think the cat’s feet are huge you should see Noah’s feet). Of course I have only shot one roll of film so far. In time I may find other kinds of pictures where Holga excels but for now, I believe the evidence supports my theory.

Kodak Portra 400 processed by The Dark Room.


No comments:

Post a Comment