Thursday, January 31, 2013

Comfort Photos



I assume everyone knows what “comfort food” is. Well, now and then you run across a photograph that does the same thing for your eyes that a good meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy does for your mouth.

I think I first noticed this and started developing the concept of “comfort photos” with the photo I posted in my January 17th blog post showing the view out my office window after the rain finally stopped.  (It had been raining almost non stop for over 2 weeks) This is not a new idea however. Last year I participated in Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day and one of the other photographer’s submissions really caught my eye. You can see it on my June 4th, 2012, blog post. I asked for permission and shared his photo on my blog because I liked it so much. I realize now it was because it is what I now consider to be a “comfort photo.”That's a photo that not only catches your eye but also gives you that warm & fuzzy kind of feeling.

The shot above was taken with the Pentax ZX-30 using the Kodak Gold 200 I’ve been playing with. I don’t really know what I like about it so much. Maybe it’s the fountain or the way the gently rippling water reflects the trees. Maybe it’s a combination and arrangement of things in a photo that would also make for a good painting. All I know is I like it. I hope you do too. I’ll bet now that you have the concept of “comfort photos” in your vocabulary you will find some more (maybe some of your own) that fit into that category.


No comments:

Post a Comment