Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolutions for 2013



Above is one of the first photos taken with my new Pentax K-01. On the auto setting, the camera selected f11, 1/125, and ISO 200 for this shot displaying great color accuracy and resolution. One of my New Year’s resolutions is to become more proficient with the K-01 and post some of my work with it here.

Now as anyone who has been following this blog knows I am not much for New Year’s resolutions. The 50 pounds I wanted to lose is still there and has been joined by a few more of its buddies. Many of my other resolutions over the years have met with similar success. I have come to believe that if folks really want to do something they will do it and if not they won’t, regardless what the date is.

Last year at this time however, I did list a few things on this blog I wanted to accomplish and this is as good a time as any to review the list, see how I did and perhaps make a new list.  

One thing I did accomplish this past year was to complete my pinhole camera kit last year. I shot a roll of film with it and submitted one of the photos for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day (WPPD).  Below is the link to the photo I submitted if you’re interested. 


This year the Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day will be April 28th, and since it was so much fun last year I plan to participate again. If you would like to join me and participate as well, and I sincerely hope you do, you can use the link below to learn more about it.


I never did get a chance to do any double or multiple exposures like I planned. I have a couple ideas I want to try and hope this year I will eventually get to use that technique to explore some creative photographic compositions.

Another thing I wanted to do but never did was to experiment with some slower black & white films. I have gotten comfortable (and maybe a little lazy) shooting ISO 400 film both in color and B&W because of the excellent exposure latitude in low light situations (and I hate flashes) but in spite of remarkable advances in the quality of modern film I readily admit that the best pictures are still produced by slower films. I did experiment with slower color film like Fuji’s Velvia 100 and Kodak’s Portra 160 and Gold 200, and I still have a roll of Velvia 50 to shoot, but I want to shoot some of the Plus-X (ISO 125) and Efke 100, I have on hand and maybe try some even slower black & white film if I can find it. 

Another thing I did this year and continue to do is evaluate and explore the differences between analog and digital photography. In spite of the lack of true analog possibilities due to the absence of analog labs I firmly believe that film has value and a place in today’s photographic community. It seems that others agree. Rarely does a week go buy that I don’t run across another example of photographers, professional and amateur alike, switching back to film or embracing it for the first time. This parallels my own experiences and I will continue to explore and expand in both directions.  

…and finally, I did and still continue to explore the Nikon P-300’s capabilities. This little gem has become my favorite digital. I think a similarly capable full frame digital or even one with an APS-C sensor would come close to being the perfect camera, at least for me, and even though this blog started out with a film focus you will often see photos taken with the P-300 shown here simply because it seems to always be with me. 

So what about 2012?

Well, I fully intend to participate in WPPD again, explore slow speed black & white film possibilities, and multiple exposure photography. As for the advantages and disadvantages between film and digital photography – I think I have just about worn that subject out! They both have their place and their uses and I will no doubt continue to elaborate on this subject from time to time but my original mission in that regard has been essentially completed.

Beyond that, I will explore the new Pentax K-01 I got for Christmas. Clearly the K-01 is not just a bigger P-300. That is disappointing in a way but the K-01 has other features and capabilities I have only begun to explore and may yet turn out to me my favorite digital. It can after all utilize the full stable of K-mount “legacy” lenses as well as all the ones I got for the DSLR’s . 

I also want to explore the P-300 further. It apparently has the ability to easily produce panoramic shots and even videos. It is also seems a natural for street photography, another area I want to explore.

Finally, the Recesky TLR kit I got for Christmas is another excellent challenge for those days when it is too cold or otherwise miserable to get out and enjoy photography in the usual ways. I plan to have it together and ready to use by the time the weather improves in March. 

I am sure other things will capture my attention or imagination as the year progresses and I will share them here with you as they do. So Happy once again - New Year and good shooting!


No comments:

Post a Comment